Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Old Familiar Places

Here are several things I learned this past week:

1) Never take a red-eye with a baby on your lap.
2) D.C. was not designed for strollers and nursing infants.
3) Virginia is still as beautiful as it ever was.

We had a fabulous “vacation” this past week. Kevin attended the Federalist Society conference in D.C. for three days while I painted the town with Meredith. Then we spent some time visiting with good friends in Maryland and Virginia.


From Meredith: “This is me and my mom standing outside where the President lives. We also went to the place where they make all the laws and a bunch of other places.”

We went just about everywhere, actually. The first day in D.C., just after flying in on our red-eye, I decided that it would be a shame to waste precious daylight hours. So, I took a shower at the hotel and we (me and Meredith) set out to see all the major landmarks. We walked the entire length of the Mall and I thought my legs were sure to fall off! On Friday we went to the Zoo and, on Saturday, we went to the National Gallery of Art and Botanical Gardens with Sarah. While in D.C., we had lunch with Jeanette, dinner with Christy, and then dinner on Saturday with the Mehrens and the Richmonds. We miss our east coast friends!

After three days navigating the D.C. Metro-system with a stroller, I have a whole new appreciation for handicapped people. It is such a pain to have to look for an elevator or a ramp everywhere you go!

On Sunday we visited with church friends at the Gazos’ home. We couldn’t believe how much all the kids had grown up. Amazing! (Are we getting older too?) Katrina was a flower girl in our wedding and now she’s so grown up! It was fun to see the Shipps and meet their little girl, Nora, who is the same age as Meredith.

On Monday and Tuesday we met with HSLDA friends. We especially enjoyed seeing Sherri, Sarah, Leah, John, Cora, the attorneys, the Joneses, and, of course, the Hall family. We also were able to stop and see the Klickas on the way to the airport. I can’t believe it’s been three years since we’ve been back. Working at HSLDA and living in Virginia were incredibly good years. That was such a great chapter of life!


From Meredith: “These are my two new friends, Reagan and Parker Hall. I went to their house and they played with me and let me see all their toys. Life with just mom and dad will never be the same again.”

9 comments:

Micah said...

That's great! I figured you guys were out of town since you hadn't posted in a while :). So glad you had a safe trip! Great pix!!! Meredith is just precious!!!

Janice Phillips said...

Welcome back to the left coast. Loved seeing familiar sights and faces, can't wait to see more.

Let me know when you want to get together again, I'd love to see you.

Jen said...

Sounded like fun!

I think it's great that you went touring on your own with Meredith in D.C. Some people would never think about doing that with a baby! That's great that your independent like that!

Chris and Amber said...

Thanks for sharing your adventures & pictures! I love the one of you & Meredith! You look great! :)

Linds said...

I second what you posted on my blog... it's sad to go back to VA and not see everyone who was there in the good old days! In talking w/ Geni I learned that you guys had been at their house the night before, and actually dreamt that night that I got to see you too! And I was so happy to see you guys again!! Perhaps Kev's next conference will be in Boston???
Loved all the pictures - thanks for posting them :)

Anonymous said...

We had so much fun with you guys, it was really great to see you again. Meredith is such a doll! Wish you lived closer. Oh wait... hold on! I think God is using me... to tell you... YES! Move back to VA. Whew. Too cool when God speaks like that. ;)

Anonymous said...

It was great to see you guys again, and to get to see Meredith in person! She is absolutely precious.

Let's hope that you'll be able to make it back a bit more often in the future - three years is an awfully long time!

Leah =)

Anonymous said...

Parker and Reagan are thankful to "Kevin's Mom" for posting their picture. Don't you just love how kids assume wives are parents to their spouses? :) We LOVED seeing you guys and Meredith was asked about at least a dozen times the next day. She has a fan club here!
Geni

Nica said...

Awww! How fun! I just wanted to let you know that the BEST thing to have for touring w/ a baby is a front pack. I love my Baby Bjorn, it makes moving around places that aren't "baby/stroller friendly" SO much easier... and I can protect his hands from everyone who thinks Benjamin is an adorable baby.

Baby Bjorn's go up to a pretty large baby, and once the baby has neck control, they can go in a backpack, which are also wonders of invention.