Wednesday, November 16, 2005

D.C., A Friendly Place (Who Would’ve Thought?)

One thing that amazed me, during our visit to D.C., was how courteous and friendly everyone was toward Meredith and I. Especially in the non-touristy areas. It was as if people in D.C. never get to see little babies. At least every 15-20 minutes someone would stop us and ask to look at Meredith. One morning while we were having breakfast at a bakery-shop, every single female working at the shop (five or six) stopped to look at Meredith, smile, and coo at her.

I’ve also never had so many people open doors for me in my entire life! Not to mention the many people who helped me carry the stroller up or down a flight of stairs when I couldn’t find a ramp available. While we were on the Metro, people consistently stepped aside to let us board first, gave up their seats for us, etc., etc. One day, a man who, I guess, was homeless (and smelled like he hadn’t showered in over a week), peered into Meredith’s stroller and talked to her for about five minutes while we were riding the Metro. Meredith smiled back at him and acted like she thought he was the greatest thing ever. She must have totally made his day (or maybe even his life!). The other people riding the Metro also got a big kick out of it. I think they were amused I let this man put his face next to my child. But, what could I do?

Then, there was that time when my stroller got stuck in-between the exit “doors” where you insert your Metro ticket. A gentleman in a business suit, who had been walking quickly past me, stopped to help. I pushed with all my strength and he pulled with all his. Finally, the stroller came unstuck.

Because of these positive experiences, I have a whole new outlook on the District of Columbia. I now view it as a wonderful place full of friendly, kind, thoughtful people. Before, it was just another big city.

2 comments:

Chris and Amber said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chris and Amber said...

Looks like I accidently deleted my first commment! I admire you for painting the town red with Meredith and going places alone like that! You go girl! :)