Friday, April 15, 2005

Transition

I’m starting to work from home on Fridays now. There are many advantages for me doing this but, at least right now, the thing I’m most grateful for is saving an hour and a half of commuting. And so far this new work schedule has worked out well. Last Friday I was able to focus and get a lot done.

Several years ago I remember talking to an appellate attorney who worked from home. She said the hardest thing for her was the fact that she had to learn to ignore the dirty dishes sitting in the sink, and all of the other housework piling up, in order to work on her briefs. Hmm … I don’t think that will be a problem for me. I’m always looking for a good excuse to put off the dishes.

Yesterday Kevin had a hearing in the Bay and I went with him. We left Wednesday evening and didn’t get back until last night. On the way home, we listened to the Michael Savage radio show. Because I don’t really care for any of the other radio hosts that broadcast during that time of day (typically my drive home from work), I often tend to listen to Savage. He gets really annoying sometimes – especially his voice when he goes on a yelling rampage (he’s from the Bronx) – but I often find him to be very amusing. So, like a bad habit, he’s hard to shake, and I continue to listen to him. Recently I’ve been feeling guilty I listen to him so much. If he can so easily grate on my steel nerves, then I wonder how badly he upsets my child. In fact, my worst fear (lately) is that my child will be born knowing the voices of three people – me, Kevin, and Michael Savage. Ugh. But because I can’t stand being bored in the car, I continue to tune-in.

And my only consolation is that, now, my child will be relieved of hearing Savage at least one day a week … those blessed Fridays.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My hubby hopes to get onto 10 hour days again and thus have most Fridays off! Sure would be best and would save gas too! I think America needs to consider doing this whenever possible. Sure sounds easier on the baby too...as well as mama!

I do agree a lot with Savage, but he is not good for blood pressure problems so I let hubby listen and convey onto me what he thinks I need to know!

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Savage? That's pretty much how I feel after listening to him for more than ten minutes. No, really, he isn't that bad, but I'm more of a Sean Hannity fan myself.

Glad to hear you have a couple more hours to your week. Enjoy the extra time!