Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Observations of a girl who’d like to change the world, if she could … Instead, she blogs …

I thought it was odd to see several lobbyists and staff members wearing denim jeans today in committee until I saw a legislator also in this causal attire. At that point, I figured there had to be a memo floating around out there somewhere. And I hadn’t gotten it. Later I asked one lobbyist what was going on. She said that the jeans were being worn in protest of a ruling in 1999 by an Italian judge. The judge apparently said that a woman couldn’t have been the victim of rape because her jeans were too tight for anyone to take off but herself. So, every year on April 27 (“Denim Day California”), persons at the capitol – both men and women – don their jeans to criticize this injustice. As I sat in my chair, observing all the denim, I really wished I could’ve been in the loop on this one. Not only could I have joined the protest, I could have also been much more comfortable than I was.

The first bill heard this afternoon was to ban the sale of soft drinks on public high school campuses throughout the state. (It’s already been banned for lower grade levels.) It’s interesting to me that the same legislators who think high schoolers aren’t yet mature enough to decide what type of drink to purchase on campus (i.e., soda or 100% fruit juice) argue that they ARE mature enough to decide, completely on their own, whether to undergo a major medical procedure to abort their child.

The next interesting bill would require that all vending machines in the state be filled with at least 50% healthy foods. The opposition to the bill was a guy who is legally blind and crippled and makes a living operating vending machines. He said: “This bill takes away my living. I can only sell what consumers are willing to buy.” He went on to say that they “test” the various snacks in the machines to see what “moves.” The things that don’t move have to be discarded and they, obviously, get no profit. He, as a vending machine operator, knows that the type of people who buy items through vending machines would, generally, much rather have a Twinkie or Snickers than a bag of carrots or soy chips. If half of his vending machine has to be occupied with health food, not only will he lose profits from the rest of the items not being able to be marketed, he will also lose profits from the health foods going bad and having to be discarded when they are not sold. After the arguments were made, the democrat-controlled committee voted against him. They apparently think that having more health food “available” will make California a healthier state, despite the pleas of the vendors to be left alone. After the vote, the crippled, blind man hobbled away from the table, down the ramp, shaking his head and wondering how on earth he’s going to feed his family next year. I, sitting about a hundred feet away, was dumbfounded by what I’d just seen. How can the party who alleges it’s the party of compassion turn away this gentleman who a) made completely commonsense arguments and b) is just trying to make a living? I don’t think I’ve ever felt so bad for anyone in all my life. (Later on in the afternoon, the committee chair – a democrat who voted against the crippled, blind man – was chomping loudly on a bag of red licorice. This was also an interesting observation, to me. Why didn’t she grab the bag of raisins instead? After all, that's what she expects everyone else to do.)

The last bill, that’s worth mentioning, would create a universal health care system in California. As the supporters of the bill lined up, I thought to myself: “Um, yeah, that’s exactly what you’re going to be doing when you’re critically ill and trying to get in to see a doctor, if this bill passes.” How on earth can anyone who’s ever been to the DMV want the government to control our healthcare system? Geesh. I just don’t understand these people.

Okay, I’m done complaining for now … I need to go home and put on a pair of jeans.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right here! Those dummies that get to vote for us all! California (and Nevada too) have plenty of wonderful grocery stores that carry plenty of choices. When we went to visit our son's family when they lived there, we were so completely amazed at what Railey's carried! Stuff even our health food stores did not in Eastern Washinton where we lived at that time! Why don't they ask some folks who mostly buy organic or health food stuff? I would not buy them from a vending machine because the product could be old, stale and even unhealthy! (Nuts go rancid and can make you sick if they are you know)! We are wearing the Emperor's New Clothes and don't even know it! Well, that poor man, the vendor...won't be long in this crazy land where someone like him will have his food and water taken away...handicapped don't deserve to have that you know! Thanks for reporting on what you see...we need to know these things!
Elizabeth

Queen of Carrots said...

You really have to wonder if people in California would still be protesting a 1999 decision by an Italian judge if it didn't involve wearing jeans.