Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Rumblings at Town Hall

Our luggage has finally been returned to us by Continental Airlines. [And to think how often I took for granted the sheer delight and privilege of being able to use a hair dryer!]

Last night, after work, all I wanted to do was go home, unpack, eat dinner, and read a good book with Kevin. (Or maybe start taking down our Christmas decorations.) But something came up at work and I had to attend a school board meeting. Sigh . . . [There’s something terribly wrong with having a very large mortgage and never being home to enjoy what you’re paying for.]

In the end, I’m glad I went to the meeting. It was an incredible experience. CRI has been working on an issue with a local school board wanting to overturn a policy requiring parental notification when minor children, as young as age 12, leave campus for “confidential medical services.” This issue has gained quite a bit of media attention, both locally and nationally. Because of this, the board room was packed, overflowing, and spilling out into the hallways with concerned, passionate, and enraged parents wanting to give the board a piece of their minds. The experience last night was yet another reminder of why I love community activism. At one point during the meeting, if you can believe it, I even started feeling slightly emotional at the plea of one articulate mother. But maybe that’s just because my hormones are out of whack right now. Ugh.

Anyway . . . tonight, fortunately, we don’t have any plans. So I think I’ll go home, unpack, eat dinner, and read a good book with Kevin.

Oh, and then there’s that little ant problem in the kitchen that I’ve been ignoring for the past two days . . . .

No comments: