Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Don't Waste Your Money On An Expensive College

Here is a very interesting article by Dennis Prager, written several years ago. The reason I link to it now is because I happened to hear him talk about this topic on his radio show the other day and it caused me to scour the internet to try and find some of his quotes. Although I don’t have the text from his show, this article covers some of what he talked about.

“Never have so many paid so much to so few for so little.”

On his radio program, he also talked about the Forbes 400 list of the wealthiest Americans, how they made their money, and other statistics . . . like where they went to college. Out of the top ten, several of them are college dropouts and the rest of them went to colleges that are virtually unknown to mainstream America. (Several of the wealthiest Americans, further on down the list, are actually high school dropouts.)

This topic was interesting to me, personally, because I’ve taken some flak from several people for going to a non-accredited law school. But since I passed the bar on the first try, feel I received (overall) an excellent education, have zero student debt, and really love my job, I frankly could care less about what other people think.

I once spoke with a judge in Long Beach about the possible drawbacks of going to a non-accredited law school. He literally grabbed both of my shoulders, looked me in the eye, and said, “How successful you are in life will depend entirely upon one thing: YOU.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And to be financially successful, the first thing YOU should have done is to sue him for harrassment, then invest the money in the late 90's san bernadino and riverside housing market.

MB

Anonymous said...

I like that alot Amy. you really do control how far you go in life... what school you went to or what background you have has no importance on your worth or your marketability. those old fuddy duddies have been lying to us. ;) every day you wake up, you decide the extent of your value and how people will treat you.