Sunday, October 16, 2011

Tea and Art Time

God has given me three precious little girls. Sometimes I wonder why He did that because I'm really not that much of a girly-girl. I like law and politics and I have always enjoyed playing sports. Sometimes I think God gave me girls so that I would get more in touch with my feminine, feeling side! One of the things I have done to make sure that I am regularly connecting with my girls is have a weekly tea with them. Every Thursday after our Classical Conversations classes, we come home and have tea. I do not have time to do "fancy" at this point, but we do always get out the nice China. Some weeks, when we don't have any special snack in the cupboard, we just pop popcorn. We rotate through teas, but the girls' favorites are peppermint and Meredith loves English Breakfast. We all look forward to this time together. Last Thursday Meredith and Clara got dressed up for the occasion too.

 

 

 

After our tea is over, we also try to do some art together. I am not very good at doing planned art projects with the kids. (That is why I sign them up for library art classes and we do Classical Conversations!!) So we just get out some paints or do some pencil drawings. I had read in Teaching the Trivium that the best way to become a good artist is to copy, copy, copy. So I bought the book Animals: 1419 Copyright-Free Illustrations. Last Thursday we enjoyed doing some free-hand copying. It is really nice to just take a tea break and focus on doing something beautiful. Life frequently gets so hectic and busy. We love our Thursday afternoons together.

 

5 comments:

Diary of an Autodidact said...

{like}

Heather L. said...

I love this!!!! I wish I was having weekly tea with our kids!!! And, copying pictures sounds so fun!!! Enjoyed the pumpkin day pictures too! What a beautiful fall it has been!

Monica said...

Great idea! Perhaps I'll adopt this one when we take a break from CC. Some of the best conversations take place when everyone's hands are busy.

Heidi said...

Hi! I found your blog from the Court Report article. Your tea and art afternoons look like such a precious time with your daughters. It's so neat that you do CC! I have been in the Challenge program for several years and also lead the nursery for our Foundations program. Keep up the great work!!

- Heidi
Chesterfield, VA

(If you're ever driving through VA, come visit our CC. It's fun to see how other communities tick! :)

Megan said...

This is such a sweet idea. I'm sure your girls with have fond memories of this for the rest of their lives.