Tuesday, November 02, 2010

America

Today I took my kids to the polls and exercised that sweet American right, voting. I let Meredith and Clara push the red "send" button at the end so they could feel a part of the process too. Later I mentioned something on Facebook about being thankful for voting and the opportunity to tell my kids about what a great country America is. I got a comment from someone who isn't convinced America is great anymore. I thought I would post my reply here just because this is something I truly believe and I am truly thankful.

For all of its flaws, America is still the greatest nation on earth.  The issues I have with our government are a direct result of the lack of moral fiber and/or apathy of the American people.  I feel so blessed to live in a country where I don't worry about my husband being arrested in the middle of the night and being tortured without a trial.  I feel so blessed to be able to speak my mind freely, vote for my elected officials, and attend the church of my own choosing.  I feel very blessed to have as many children as I want and educate them according to the dictates of my own conscience.  There will always be doomsayers and lots of info floating around on the Internet that I could allow to bog me down.  But I am thankful to be an American.  God has blessed me by allowing me to be born here.  I love my country and will pass this on to my children.  I want them to be aware of the blessings they enjoy that many others will never know.

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

Thanks Amy for the reminder. That is all very true but I tend to see the glass as half-empty. Thank you for you and others like my brother who put it nicely in perspective. We are so blessed.

Jen said...

Great post Amy!

So many people in other countries live in such turmoil. We are SO blessed!

We are not perfect for sure, but how can we be with this thing called sin in all of our lives?

Anonymous said...

Brilliant, Amy!