Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Kid Post

Here’s another kid post … the overwhelming majority of my time is spent taking care of these two precious girls. And I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Clara Faith

Overnight, Clara’s personality has changed from docile creature to feisty little girl. I don’t know what happened to my tranquil little baby. It seems that since she's tasted the freedom to move around, she has acquired a spirited streak.

These days she’s a total mama’s girl. This is new for me. Meredith was always a daddy’s girl and very independent. I’m trying to find the balance of enjoying the fact that I’m Clara’s favorite and getting her to appreciate other people more!

Meredith Grace

Meredith is drawing really awesome stick figures these days! The figures have no body—just a round head, two legs, two arms, a bunch of dots on the face, and crazy hair. But they are SO cute. I love it!

This morning I told Meredith to make up her bed. She said, “I will do it. I promise.” I have no idea where she picked up on the “I promise” line.

Last Sunday when she was loud in church, I took her to the back and asked her if she knew why she was going to get a spanking. She said, “Yes, because I was noisy and disobedient.” Then she quickly held up her index finger and thumb and said, “Can I just get a LITTLE spanking?” It’s so hard to discipline kids when they’re so dang funny.

The other day Meredith found a gaudy ring that someone gave me and I let her play with. She exclaimed, “Oh! I think I can get married with that!”

After I put her hair in piggy tails the other day, she asked me if I wanted piggy tails too. When I said no, she looked horrified and said, “But don’t you want to look like ME?” [What am I supposed to say to that?]

When I was putting away her ABC puzzle (which she had scattered all over the floor and wasn’t even playing with anymore), she rushed over to me and yelled, “No! Don’t take my letters away because then I can’t learn to read!!”

When I was buckling her out of her car seat, she saw my wedding ring and said, “You have a diamond.” A: “Yes, who gave it to me?” M: “Daddy.” A: “When?” M: “Sometime you had a wedding before Clara got in your tummy!”

She’s been enjoying carrying around a new purse that grandpa bought her. At the grocery checkout the other day, she pulled a penny from her purse and held it out to me. She said, “Here is some money to pay that lady.” [Like, hey mom, I’ll take care of the grocery bill this week!]

Meredith asked me recently, “What is the opposite of resting?” I didn’t answer right away because I was trying to decide the best word. Then she piped up, “I know … it’s THINKING!”

The other day she asked, “Can I bring my makeup brush to Meijer?” I asked if she was going to hold onto it and not drop it and lose it (which is what she normally does). She thought for a second and then replied, “You can put it in your purse. How about THAT good idea?”

Ever since she’s said this, Kevin and I are always asking each other, “How about THAT good idea?” I think this will be a family line for a long time …

3 comments:

Chris and Amber said...

Meredith is so funny! I like her last quote!! ;D

the Joneses said...

Some days it must be hard to jot down all the Meredith quotes before you forget them!

Daphne is very much a mama's girl, which is very much a change from Addie (whose favorite direction was "away") and Stuart (who still adores his daddy). Like you, I find it gratifying, but a little tiring.

-- SJ

Jen S said...

What funny little quotes. You will be so glad you wrote these all down. Your Meredith reminds me of my Meredith when she was that age. Maybe it's because they are both Meredith Grace. :)