Wednesday, March 22, 2006

AAAAARRGGHHHH!!

Meredith has now discovered our CD rack!! What am I going to DO?

I suppose there are two answers to that. 1) Put my CDs somewhere else. 2) Train her to leave it alone.

I don't want to move my CDs but I also feel too lazy (maybe too busy?) right now to consistently discipline her for terrorizing my CD rack.

"Training" an eight month old to leave something alone sounds very overwhelming to me right now. It's much easier said than done, let me just say that.

And it's not just this. She now thinks that everything that can "open" is fair game. Every day she discovers new things to explore.

Yesterday she learned how to open the TOP drawer in our bathroom!!

My life has suddenly become much more difficult. Yes, I know that people say when they get mobile, they get much more difficult. Did I believe them? No. My mental response was more like, "Yeah, whatever. How hard can it possibly be?"

[Groan.]

Okay, I've gotta go. I think I hear her playing with the fireplace utensils.

Ack!

8 comments:

Rachelle said...

I can so relate. CDs have been the "thing" around here for over a year. Now it is DVDs. I always find it hard to strike a balance between encouraging growth and exploration and teaching respect of property. It helps that we have old stuff. I love that Ben is quite independent and can work the CD player at 2. But we have a few damaged CD cases and we aren't so willing to let him experiment wit the DVD player. It's newer and more expensive. Good luck! -rlr

Rose said...

I went through this same process! But I very quickly discovered that it is FAR easier to teach her 'No' than otherwise! Babies are very quick to learn and Jane is quite responsive, so with a minimum of effort we have effectively baby-proofed the house.

If you're certain this is something you don't want her touching (and Rachelle makes a good point about learning and exploring: if you have something expendable that can be a good way to learn to be gentle, then have at it!), then I'd encourage you to train her now. It really shouldn't take that many times and it will be sooo worth it.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Rose. Take care of this NOW! As you consistently teach her that you and daddy mean it when you say "No", she will come to know that a loving God has placed her under loving parents. I know of an excellent booklet that addresses this issue from a Christian perspective......"Under Loving Command" by Pat Fabrizio. I can mail a copy to you. Interested? :)

Amy K said...

Susan, that would be great. Can you e-mail me and I'll give you my address. I was looking for your e-mail but can't find it. :-P

Thanks, again. :)

Amy

Anonymous said...

Done! :)

Anonymous said...

"As you consistently teach her that you and daddy mean it when you say "No", she will come to know that a loving God has placed her under loving parents."

Yeah, when she's in her 20's.

-- John S.

Nica said...

Amy, I so relate! Benjamin is pulling stuff open, crawling, and getting into EVERYTHING. It's hard when they're so little, and are so stinkin' cute, but I agree that teaching "no" now is imperative.\

Just don't come over to my house any time soon, or you'll see me say "no" to Benjamin and then have to leave the room because he's just so cute that I'm laughing over his being naughty.

{sigh}

Catherine said...

I can't exactly relate, because my daughter is only three months old and therefore not very mobile, but I'll be interested to see how y'all deal with the cd problem since my husband has a boatload of cds and two expensive guitars that will be in easy reach of little hands in the very near future! We've been wondering how soon to start "training" Hannah - it seems like most books are very non-specific about it and yet it's a big responsibility that we don't want to put off too long.

By the way, I got to your blog from Andrew and Alaina's blog - we are friends of their's from 2nd RP in Indianapolis and we're looking forward to meeting you guys when you move back!