Monday, July 25, 2005

Tour de Meredith

Congrats to Lance for doing it again. I’m happy to report that, thanks to Kevin, we got a good dose of the Tour de France over the past several weeks. Every time there was a lull in our household activity, Kevin would suggest turning on the TV to see what’s going on with the Tour.

The more I think about it, the more I’m convinced that there’s an analogy somewhere between a strenuous bike race and taking care of a newborn. Both require stamina and endurance, that’s for sure.

When I’m not taking care of Meredith (those few hours every day), I just want to hold her and look at her. She’s so little and fragile, yet so full of expression and so strong.

I think I have this unrealistic fear that she’ll be suddenly grown up if I happen to take my eyes off her. But maybe that’s not such an unreasonable notion after all. They say that babies grow up fast. In fact, I think Meredith is already changing and growing.

And I think I’ve changed a little bit too. Although I hope that I’ve never been too materialistic of a person, I think I’ve become much less materialistic since Meredith entered this world. After holding my own baby in my arms, the value and attraction of all earthly possessions and exploits have paled considerably.

Some things are merely temporal … others are eternal. I am constantly amazed that God has entrusted me with the stewardship of a little soul named Meredith Grace.

… I’ll try to blog more frequently in the coming weeks. But, no promises. I’m having fun with my baby!

2 comments:

Linds said...

Good for you, Amy - though I'll miss the frequent posts, it gives me great pleasure to think of you bonding with your little one.
Love to you all!

Sarah M. said...

Just a random comment here... About a week and a half ago I dreamed that Lance took third place. I remember waking up wondering first, why had I even dreamed about him since I wasn't following the race, and then also if there was any significance to my dream... Apparently not.