Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Nose Rings

Lately Kevin has been reading Ezekiel in his daily bible reading. The other day I asked him what exactly he was reading about and he read me a portion from chapter 16 about God’s love for His people and how God came to a struggling Jerusalem and lovingly washed her, clothed her, and adorned her with gold and silver, including (v. 12) putting a jewel in her nose.

This led to a discussion on the propriety of nose rings.

I was shocked, absolutely shocked (probably because I married a man whom I consider to be much more “conservative” than myself), when Kevin said he wouldn’t mind if I got a “small stud” in my nose. He said that he thinks they can be attractive and he doesn’t see anything wrong with it, especially in light of the fact that God himself declares in Ezekiel that it’s something beautiful and desirable. (He did say, however, that he’d rather I not get anything larger than a “small stud” because he personally thinks that’s highly unattractive.)

Okay, mom, if you are reading this blog, please rest assured that I’m not planning to rush out and pierce my nose today. Actually, despite Kevin’s blessing, I have no desire to do so. I’m happy with the holes I already have in my head – all the ones God gave me at birth plus two artificial holes, one in each ear.

But, back to our conversation … It was interesting to mull over the topic of body piercings for a few moments. Aside from any perceived “wrongness” or “rightness” in piercing your body, it’s true that there are certain cultural connotations to body piercing that the well-meaning person should take into consideration. But it’s also clear that connotations change over time. For example, what would have been considered a “rebellious” piercing twenty years ago, might not be considered such today.

In the end we concluded that you simply can't make an airtight case that it’s “wrong” to pierce your nose when God explicitly declares in scripture that it’s something He thinks is “beautiful.”

4 comments:

Leah said...

Amy, you may not remember me, but I read your blog often (thanks to the link from Rachelle's blog). It is so funny that you would post about nose rings, Drew and I had the exact same conversation yesterday, although I married someone that I consider to be much more "liberal" than myself :) (well, as liberal as a conservative Christian can be, that is). It really does have a lot to do with the culture that we live in, because my grandmother who is from India has a large nose ring, 7+ diamonds, but in our society it is seen as rebellious. I have considered getting one, but I don’t know if I want the pain of having to explain my decision to everyone. I need to make sure that Drew doesn't read your blog, it will just add fuel to his fire. :)

Leah Z.

Rachelle said...

Kevin! Are you still married to the SAME Kevin? The one who jumped all over me when I suggested that I might get my belly button pierced? (Still haven't, but if my stomach is EVER flat again, maybe.)Kevin, you have gone liberal on me. First, working at Starbucks, now this. I don't think I know you any more. -rlr

Kevin said...

Ah, yes, Rachelle, but a belly button piercing is COMPLETELY different than a nose ring. I think it's hard to argue with explicit text, where God Himself says: "I put a jewel in your nose, earrings in your ears, and a beautiful crown on your head. . . . You were exceedingly beautiful, and succeeded to royalty." (Ezek. 16:12-13.) However, I don't see any mention of a belly button piercing. ;)

Anonymous said...

Somebody ask Kevin what he thought about my fake nose ring stunt back at HSLDA . . . :-P Well, that was just too much fun!

So, who are you and what did you do with Kevin Koons?