Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Retail Experiences

At probably the worst time possible, our washing machine decided to die. Since our family size has expanded to three persons, I’ve done more laundry than I ever thought imaginable. With the death of said washing machine, we were prompted to visit several retail stores last night in search of a replacement.

While I understand the principle of getting a commission, and the fact that salespeople have to earn a living too, I really hate going to a store where the salespeople trail you about ten feet for a few dozen yards until they decide to go in for the kill. Or, in other words, accost you with their pitch. And I always know when it’s going to happen too. I’ve learned to anticipate their next move by watching from the corner of my eye.

Also yesterday, I went to the mall with Meredith for a stroll. I wanted some exercise but it’s been too hot here lately to do much outside. I’m trying not to be the typical young mom who frets about germs around every corner. But I still try to be cautious. I had Meredith covered up in her stroller for the entire trek until the end when I uncovered her to give her some fresh air. At that precise moment a little girl, probably five or six years old, came from nowhere and ran up to Meredith to stroke her face. She was really cute – I could clearly see her excitement to touch a little baby. “What is her name?” she asked. I felt myself stiffen as I answered the question, trying to reassure myself that the little girl probably wasn’t sick. Fortunately her mom was close behind her and said, “No, you’re not supposed to touch babies who are that little.” “Why?” asked the girl. “Because you have germs,” said her mom. The little girl looked horrified to realize that she has germs. It was actually pretty funny.

And then there was this adorable little boy, probably five years old, who held the door open for me as I was leaving the mall because he noticed that I was pushing a stroller. In fact, he had just come through the door and had to run back to assist me. He was with his sister, just a few years older than him, and I didn’t see an adult anywhere nearby. It really caught me off guard that such a little boy would do such a gentlemanly thing without being prompted by his mother. It was refreshing to see so much thoughtfulness possessed by such a young child. This random act of kindness totally made my day.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can actually work the commission guys in your favor. Here's how you do it. We go in, ask questions, look, find what appears to be the right item. THEN, I say we ought to look someplace else, act disinterested, even walk away. Suddenly the salesman begins to sweat. Dale asks if that price is the best he can do, or can he throw in something else (that we were going to buy anyway).I still act disinterested, look at an unrelated item, but not far away. Before you know it, we have his rock bottom price, we're happy, he thinks we're suckers, and we have made a purchase.

Queen of Carrots said...

We had our dryer conk out a few weeks after D1 was born, so I sympathize. Hope you found something quickly!

Anonymous said...

That little boy who helped you must be a homeschooler.

Homeschoolers are far superior in all aspects of life to their non-homeschooled counterparts.

Anonymous said...

I take offense to the above comment about homeschoolers.

A homeschooled boy of that age would not be made aware of a "mall" or that it exists.

Instead, a young homeschooled boy like this would be much more likely to be at home churning butter in between spelling lessons.

Kevin said...

Matt, you're a schizo ... taking offense at your own comments.

Anonymous said...

Well....it was offensive. BGI.

Anonymous said...

Not every homeschooler churns butter! For example, Kevinicus only milked sheep in his youth, and as any homescrewler should know, sheep milk cannot be churned into butter. Duh.