Monday, November 01, 2004

We Are Fami-LY

My parents and little bro and sis just left our house this morning. We had a great weekend with them. The whole weekend can be summed up like this: BIG SUGAR HIGH. On Saturday we went to the Jelly Belly Factory in Fairfield for a tour. Incidentally, there was a big Halloween celebration taking place. Normally, when you go to the JB Factory, you come away with enough sugar in your system to keep all the dentists employed for a 20 mile radius. Can you imagine what it's like when the Halloween factor is added? (Candy everywhere!) I had been wanting to go to the JB factory for quite some time and was glad my family was in town to give me an excuse to go. Kevin said he didn't know if it was more fun watching the kids or ME. (I get really excited about sugar; plus they had clowns and a man who did tricks with bubbles there. It was an exciting time.) :)

We had fun at home with face paints, carving pumpkins, etc. Usually we don't do anything celebratory on Halloween (we celebrate Reformation Day) but since my sibs were here, they dressed up like Native Indians and went out for candy. Since they were going out, and since we have TONS of kids in our new neighborhood, we stayed home and gave candy to the little kids that came to our door. I was trying to make caramel apples but kept getting interrupted by the door bell. After handing out the candy I would come back into the kitchen and report to Kevin (who was carving a pumpkin on the table) how absolutely cute these kids were, or how bratty this one kid was, or what a creative costume that was, etc., etc.

On Sunday, Joel Belz, founder of World Magazine, came to speak at our church. He spoke about the Christian worldview and also talked about Christians wanting to have a "formula" for their faith because either they are lazy or works-oriented. He had some insightful things to say and it was good to put a face to the name.

Well, I've gotta go do some more phone banking. I'll try to post a picture of Melissa and me, if I can figure it out without Kev's help. :-/

1 comment:

CABeachBlonde said...

We still need to go to JB factory!