Wednesday, November 03, 2004

"That Values Thing"

What a night. What a morning! Commentators with a lot more insight than me have already written about how people came out yesterday to vote for their values, and that’s what made the difference for Bush. My hope is that this is the beginning of a turning tide where people put their faith into action; where our beliefs don’t stay within the four walls of our churches and homes, but are employed boldly in the public square. I love the U.S. I love living in the U.S. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with thinking my country is better than all other countries. I think everyone should be proud of their country and, if they’re not, they should move somewhere else. Here in the U.S., we have an extraordinary history. Yesterday’s election gives me hope that our future will be equally bright. Let us ever remain vigilant and continue to vote for our values. God bless the U.S.A.
___________________

Last night we went to Karen and John’s house for their election party. Kevin manned the laptop, checking results for local races on the Internet. For some strange reason, I got extremely drowsy at around 11 o’clock (west coast time, so we already knew most of the results) so I crawled underneath the dining room table and fell asleep. I think everyone thought it was funny. But, honestly, I was really tired from poll watching and phone banking all day. What’s a girl to do?

This morning I was really missing all my friends at HSLDA – thinking how I used to always rely on Scott Somerville to make sense of the political goings-on. I miss conferring with all my fellow comrades in the legal department, pontificating with them, and trying to collectively figure out all the madness in the world. Those were good days.

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

Good thing some of those former HSLDA compatriots keep blogs, huh? Oh that Scott Somerville did. And congrats to Aaron Klein who won in one race that went right in CA.

Megan said...

Oh, Ames, I was totally missing VA people too!! Thought a lot about the elections last time around and being at the Kendall's watching until way late (which probably wasn't nearly as late as I'm used to staying up now ...). But, I missed all you guys and those good times in Loudoun Cnty.

CABeachBlonde said...

AMEN, SISTA!!!
And, yes, VA...what an amazing experience that was for us all...