Monday, November 22, 2004

Our Brilliant Friends

I was finally forced out of bed at 5:40 a.m. on Saturday morning by my human alarm clock (i.e., Kevin). He had been trying to wake me up for quite some time and was finally successful when he mentioned that beautiful thing called Starbucks. We were soon on the road, headed for Fresno, so Kevin could participate in OBCL’s Alumni Association Board Meeting.

The best part of the entire day was watching Seth, Jeremy, and Mark (who are all lawyers, by the way) spend five minutes trying to open Jeremy’s car with his remote. They held it at different angles, and different lengths from the car, while furiously pressing the various buttons. After that didn’t work, they actually took the remote apart to look at it better and check the battery. Finally Jeremy decided to use the key (even though the alarm would go off). But the key didn’t work either! Then Jeremy pressed the panic button, and when the car four rows over started honking, said, “Um, guys, the reason it won't work is because it's the wrong car.” He pointed several rows over to his own car – a similar color, make and model - which was honking and had the trunk lid open from all the button-pressing. The trio then threw their hands into the air and Kevin and I started laughing hysterics. It was very funny. You’d have to have been there to appreciate it.

The most amazing revelation of the day occurred at the lunch table when the discussion centered on the phenomenon of blogs. Out of ten people at the table, only four of us admitted that we read blogs on a semi-regular basis. And only two of us actually have our own blogs. This is incredible to me. I'm still trying to make sense of this. Does it mean that, because I blog so much, I don't have a life? OR does it mean that, because they don't blog (or read blogs), they're missing out on one of the greatest technological tools of the 21st century? I'd like to think it's the latter.

6 comments:

CABeachBlonde said...

They're missing out. Plain and simple. -O

the Joneses said...

Actually, I didn't have to be there to think the car incident was hysterical. Darren and I howled. And obviously, we bloggers are at the cutting edge of what eventually will become humdrum and mainstream -- shows how ahead of the waves we ride. -- SJ

NatronLaw said...

Very funny!

Anonymous said...

Only two - including you and Kevin? =) I'd say they're missing out, but that statistic surprises me, because blogging seems such a natural for the Oak Brook crowd, reeking as it does of coffee, late nights, obsessive typing, and verbosity. I know the blogworld is a fad, but it's a fun fad, and I'm enjoying it while it lasts. A few years ago IM was the latest craze, and I kept caught up with my friends by chatting; now I hardly ever sign on, but I still enjoy keeping up through blogs. They're missing a unique social experience of a close-knit community that spans geographical boundaries and brings friends together - all for free.

~Rose

Michael said...

Your car story was great! LOL I can totally imagine doing that myself...except that my car is somewhat unique.

Anonymous said...

OK...I must admit that I actually got in another car that looked exactly like mine and was parked right next to mine. This was in the day when everyone left their cars unlocked. When I stepped into the vehicle the interior was a different color and it was much messier than mine. I quickly jumped out hoping that no one saw me! Aunt B.