Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Why I Said "No"

The GOP convention is in full swing right now. Our beloved body-building governor spoke last night. Did you hear him? I don’t much care for his positions on social issues, but he’s got a great persona.

Believe it or not, I was offered an all-expenses-paid opportunity to go to the convention. Initially, I accepted the invitation. I even faxed my social security number to the California Delegation. But in the end, I decided not to go. I’m sure a lot of people think I’m crazy for not accepting this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. My boss had to pull a lot of strings and connections to get me an invitation. If I had gone, I know I would’ve enjoyed myself. Just “being there” would’ve been great. I love NYC and I love GWB. Plus, I would’ve had tickets to get into all sorts of interesting events. But I decided not to go mostly because it conflicted with our move and I thought it would be a strain on my family (e.g., Kevin). I felt like getting our first home is a landmark time in our life and I didn’t want to put all the pressure of moving on Kev. (And considering what a pain it was to clean and move, I’m sure glad I didn’t dump it all on him!) This is going to sound really sappy but, if I had gone to NY, I would have just pined away for Kevin the whole time – even after two years of marriage!

It’s funny because a few short years ago I would’ve jumped at the chance to go to the GOP national convention and I would’ve made whatever sacrifices necessary to get there. But things are different now. I’m in a more “content” phase of life. My priorities have changed. I’ve had a lot of opportunities to travel, get an education, do exciting things. Although I will never lack having my own aspirations for the future, I’ve got a lot of my ambition worked out of my system – for the first time in my life! (I’ve never wanted to look back on my life and regret not seizing opportunities.) And you know what? It’s kinda nice to be here, where I am. I love it.

No comments: