Monday, September 13, 2004

Bleach, Radio, Paint . . . and Mark

Well, I just bleached one of Kevin’s dress socks. (It was accidentally tossed in with a load of whites.) It used to be a tan color. Now it’s a creamy orange color. I’m not sure how he’ll react. Hopefully he won’t be too mad. Maybe I can convince him that it will be fun to break away from the mores and doldrums of professional standards and wear a creamy orange sock on one foot and a tan sock on the other. Hmmm. I won’t hold my breath on that one.

On Friday night I did a radio interview on hate crimes legislation. Since I had just conducted a bunch of research on the topic, I felt fairly well-informed. When I know what I’m talking about, I really enjoy radio. It’s those times when I just pretend that I know what I’m talking about that gets really interesting, to say the least. I was supposed to be on air at 5:20. So, I rushed home, started dinner, and then began the interview. During commercial breaks, I continued chopping the onions, measuring the ingredients, and setting the table. It was quite comical. You should have seen it. There I was, barefoot in the kitchen, fixing food and debating hate crimes legislation. Ha!

On Saturday, we finally finished painting all of the first floor of our house. We (especially Kevin) were really dreading painting the living room because it has a few tricky angles and a 20-foot ceiling. Things got rather precarious at times. Kevin risked his life on more than one occasion. The scariest part was when he perched his wobbly ladder up against a beam that stretched from one side of the ceiling to the other side. In days of old, knights slew dragons for their fair maidens. In this modern age, they paint tall ceilings. Both feats are definite acts of heroism.

After painting for 12 hours straight yesterday, we were finally done. Yay! Things look so much cleaner and fresher now. Amy is very happy about this.

Our good friend Mark Bigger came over on Saturday night, at around 10 PM, to work with Kevin on the bylaws for our law school’s new alumni association. I have to hand it to him – he’s a very dedicated person – he drove all the way up from Fresno to do this. And, believe it or not, he was thinking about driving back that a very same night. Only a carefree bachelor would ever think of doing something like that. And if I’ve ever met a carefree bachelor in my life, Mark fits the description.

Well, I think that’s all the news. So, for now, I will say “adieu.”

No comments: