Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Strawberry Strife

I just got back from buying approximately 10 million strawberries for this weekend at the farmer’s market. I had a tough time finding a parking spot at the crowded downtown plaza. Finally I found one but then discovered I didn’t have any quarters. I located the nearest vendor to my car, raced to her stand, grabbed the nearest piece of fruit I could find (a peach for forty cents) and then raced back to my car with the two precious quarters. I barely made it before a parking-policeman drove by. Whew – that was a close one. (The parking enforcement is brutal in Sacramento.) After I deposited my quarters in the parking meter, I noticed a sign that read “No parking Wednesdays 6 AM to 3 PM without a permit.” This just isn’t my lucky day, I suppose. (You’d think I’d read all of the obvious signs before parking somewhere, wouldn’t you? Leave it to me . . . ) After a few moments wondering what to do, I decided I would just risk a ticket (after all, the parking-policeman had just passed and probably wouldn’t be back for at least five minutes). I rushed to the opposite end of the plaza to find the strawberry stand, loaded up (don’t ask me how on earth I made it back to my car so quickly with that heavy load) and was soon on my merry way. To my utter jubilation, my windshield was ticket-free. Praise the Lord. Sigh . . . life can be so complicated at times.
____________________________________________

Last night we (finally) bought a lawnmower at Lowe's. Kevin was thinking seriously about getting one of those little push mowers. I thought that was funny, for some reason. But he didn't understand why. I had a grand time testing out those huge riding lawnmowers while he was looking at all the other mowers. "Kevin," I suggested, "Why don't we just break down and buy one of these? That way it will only take us two or three seconds to mow our lawn." Kevin didn't say anything to that. He just rolled his eyes. (Do you think that's an indication he thinks I'm crazy? Probably.) Later on I told Kevin that maybe we shouldn't get a riding lawnmower after all. "Our neighbors would think we're freaks." But I still think it'd be FUN.

No comments: