Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Travels to the Green Land

I had almost forgotten that there are parts of this world that are a lush sort of green during summertime vs. a golden color with a few green trees scattered here and there. It’s amazing what a little water will do! This past weekend we traveled to Indiana to see Kevin’s family. We got our tickets only a week ago - so it was a very spontaneous sort of visit. On Friday night, we attended a surprise 75th birthday party for Kevin’s grandpa. At the party, Megan and I lit floating candles and placed them in the pool, just as the sun was setting. After doing this, I looked up to see a firefly light the horizon. And then another one . . . and another one! That’s also something I’d forgotten about - the beauty of fireflies sporadically illuminating in the twilight. They definitely add a lot of personality to the landscape.

Other highlights include spending the night with Kevin’s grandparents, talking till late in the evening, visiting a beautiful and peaceful place called Avon Perennial Gardens, touring large and exquisite model homes (it was remarkable how seemingly "inexpensive" they are compared to Sac, but it’s all relative, I suppose), visiting with grandma Cazzell (who broke her leg very badly and is in a nursing care home temporarily, poor thing!), conversations and laughter at family meals, eating Cajun food in Broad Ripple (I have to throw food in there somewhere!), etc., etc. We had a great time. The whole visit to Indy was wonderful. We just wish, as always, that there had been more time. It was good to see Kevin’s half of our family again. We miss ‘em lots. In the perfect world, all the people you love would live within walking distance. That’s what I think, anyway.

Our flight back home was scheduled to arrive in Sac last night at 11:00 PM but was almost an hour late. And then our baggage took f-o-r-e-v-e-r to arrive. Today I’ve tried my best not to be a total zombie. Tonight I think I shall go home and crash into the comfort of my big, warm, snuggly bed. [Big yawn.] And then I’m sure I’ll wake up and continue living life on the edge.

No comments: