Thursday, June 17, 2004

Dixie Hospitality

A new young couple attending our church, Ed and Mandy, have recently moved here from Mississippi. Both of them, but especially Mandy, have thick, genteel southern accents. And both of them are the sweetest people I think I’ve ever met. Last night we went to their house for dinner. I called Mandy first, to get directions. I always smile when I talk to Mandy because she is always so delightful. She told me that Ed was going to cook for us that evening. They had mutually decided that we should be served a Proper Southern Meal. It was great. It came with the appropriate Louisiana hot sauce, and everything. Ed told us that, typically, he makes it with crawdads and shellfish but, for us, he decided to make it with chicken instead. (To which Amy says: "Praise the Lord!") Mandy just finished medical school and is starting her residency in pediatrics. She will make the perfect children's doctor. Ed works for Ducks Unlimited and is a shootin’, huntin’ kind of a guy. We immensely enjoyed our time with them. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

No comments: