Wednesday, June 09, 2004

A Man for All Ages

Reagan, though he has now departed this earth, is timeless. He will always be remembered fondly. Of course, there are those who will disparage his name, in whatever way they can, simply because he is wonderful. They cringe at his integrity. They hate him for his valor because they can never be like him. They will never earn the love and respect of the People like he did. And, of course, he was a pro-life, pro-family kind of man. And that’s reason enough to hate anybody nowadays. Or so it seems.

I have two distinct memories concerning our 40th President, Ronald Reagan. My first memory was in 1988. I was nine. Reagan was ending his second term and helping George H.W. Bush campaign for the White House. My mom drug my sisters and I out to the Queen Mary, in Long Beach, to hear him speak. There were thousands in the crowd but, lucky for us, we ended up standing near the front, just behind the boundary rope. A man in a uniform handed my sisters and I little American flags to wave when the President walked up on stage. At the time, I was more interested in the flag than the President. But, nonetheless, I distinctly remember thinking how likable he was. And I remember thinking that, for an old man, he was pretty handsome, too. My second memory of Reagan is when my good friend Meredith called me up one day, probably four or five years ago, and invited me to go to the Reagan Library in Simi Valley on Reagan’s birthday. She was excited, being a committed Reagan fan, to attend a ceremony commemorating the Gipper’s birthday. We stood in a long line to eat cake and got free admission to the museum. Reagan’s library is a fascinating place. If you’ve never been, you should try to go sometime. After completing the tour, I had a much more profound appreciation for his struggles and victories. Although he had his flaws, his good times and bad times, Ronald Reagan was a great man.

And I’m not the only one who shares this sentiment. I work with a guy who used to be a speech writer for Ed Meese. My co-worker, Lance, is not normally emotional but today he burst into tears at seeing the flag-draped coffin on television. I’m envious of Lance. He actually had the chance to meet Reagan on several occasions. And he’s old enough to have been politically cognizant in the 80s, during the prime of Reagan’s era. All I have are memories of his library and waving a flag! Yet . . . those are enough. From what I have heard and seen . . . it is enough. It’s enough for me to know that Ronald Reagan was a modern-day hero. People like him are a rare commodity.

Reagan is a legend. His legacy will never be forgotten.

Thank you, Mr. Reagan, for the life you lived. Thank you for your love for America. Thank you for your service and leadership. You will always live in our hearts and in our memories.

No comments: