Saturday, May 11, 2013

A Prize that Counts


I sat on the edge of my seat at Meredith’s end-of-year recitation program yesterday.  The speaker was about to announce the winners of the cursive penmanship contest.

Meredith wanted to win so badly.  One boy and one girl would be chosen from each class in the lower school.  She had worked painstakingly to make sure all her cursive letters touched all the proper lines on the paper and had all the right slants.  After her work was complete, she walked around the room and carefully scrutinized all the other kids’ handwriting.  Later she told me, “I think I’m going to win!”  She also told me which boy in her class she thought would win. 

I told her that I was proud of her, regardless of what happened, because she had worked so hard all year long and had learned so much.  I was hoping she wouldn't be crushed but knew this might be the life lesson she needed to learn. 

“By the way, what do you get if you win?” I asked.

“I get a ribbon.  I have never gotten a ribbon before.  Well, we got one in gymnastics but that didn't count because EVERYONE got one.”  Kids are smarter than we give them credit for.

The speaker at the program said, “And for the second grade class, the winner is …. Meredith Koons.” 

She beamed out at the crowd, with her little side pony tail bouncing as she walked up the stage to receive her prize.

And, lo and behold, the boy she predicted would win, also won.

Sometimes it’s easy to get caught up with helping our kids overcome their academic weaknesses.  But, as I clapped loudly for her, it was good to help Meredith celebrate her strength. She has an eye for the beautiful.  She is a good artist.  She is a perfectionist and she loves copying things.    

It has been a pleasure to see Meredith flourish at the Highlands Latin School.  She is exactly where she needs to be.

And my kindergartner, my sweet Clara, has been home with me this year.  She has also been exactly where she needed to be.  Clara has come a long way as well and it has been so rewarding to see her grow in every way. 

I am thankful that God guides us in all these things.  Sometimes we don’t know what the right course is, but I know He always helps to direct us when we seek Him.  Parenting choices can be difficult.  And I’m sure we are not out of the woods yet!


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Carrie said...

One word: AWESOME!