Monday, August 27, 2007

Loss

This summer has brought us a birth, a wedding, and a death. Right now we are mourning the loss of Kevin’s grandfather. I watched Kevin stand at his grandfather’s bed several days before he passed away. When is grandfather stirred, Kevin went to hold his hand. He said, “I never want my grandfather to think he is alone.” He wasn’t alone. His family lovingly surrounded him in those last moments. It was precious to see the legacy of a man who poured his life into his family. He was there for them and they were there for him. We will miss you grandpa. And someday we will be with you again.

4 comments:

Rachelle said...

I found it a privilege and a blessing to be with my grandpa the last few days before he died. I am glad you were able to experience the same K. -rlr

"Nick" said...

My grandfather died last September. His health had deteriorated, and we weren't surprised. I understand Kevin's feelings totally. It was a priviledge for me to have known him as I did, and been able to be there for him in his later years.

Praying for you guys.

Anonymous said...

What a contrast... having a loving and Godly family that you can remember fondly is such a blessing. My grandfather died this year as well, on my mother's side. I can remember seeing him twice in the past 26 years, once when I was about 3 or 4 and then once again when I was around 16. He was largely estranged from our family and had no part in my upbringing (or my mom's either really). My dad's father died before I was born and his mother's last husband died of cancer while I was young. One thing I am thankful for is the godly and loving grandfathers my own children will have with my father and my wife's father. I'm glad Kevin had had the opportunity to know a godly and loving man as a grandfather and be there for him on his final journey home.
Dan T.

Nica said...

I know it's hard, but that is so precious. We'll be praying for you guys as you celebrate his life.