Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Lipstick

Typically I have Meredith watch a video while I take a shower to keep her distracted. This morning I decided to let her play by herself. That was a mistake.

As I exited the shower I noticed that she hadn’t taken all her clothes out of the dresser and strewn them across her bedroom, which she is prone to do. That made me glad. Then I noticed that my bedroom door was shut. She doesn’t know how to work door knobs yet, so I figured she was trapped in my room playing. I opened the door to discover what she had been up to. She had pulled my purse off the dresser and had gotten into the forbidden lipstick. She had been looking at herself in the mirror, attached to the back of the door, while doing the job.


Nearly every day Meredith watches me put on makeup. I usually let her put on powder and Chapstick so she can feel a part of it. I should have known she would attempt a self-application at some point!

The lipstick had gotten all the way up her nostrils. Have you ever tried to clean lipstick out of nostrils before? Only a mother of a toddler would know I guess. The things I never expected to experience ... and now I have.

____________________

This week has flown by. Things have been really busy here. I can’t believe Easter is coming up in a few days.

Over the weekend we took Kevin on a trip down Memory Lane—we went to a cool park he used to frequent for little league games. The weather has been so glorious! It was great to be outside. (We went to several different local parks with trails over the weekend.) Then we went to this hole-in-the-wall pizzeria called “Pizza King”—a place Kevin also went to as a boy. He had fond memories of it because they have video games at every table and a little choo choo train comes down a track to bring your drink order to your table. It was a hoot! And the pizza wasn’t totally bad either.

Okay, now I need to go get Meredith out of her bath, which I’m sure is dyed red with lipstick by now.

15 comments:

Megan said...

Meredith is too funny! That's totally something I would have done at her age. What a great photo!

Anonymous said...

That girl is definitely too young to be wearing makeup. You, as her mother, should be ashamed of yourself. Your wanton indulgence of your daughter is an abomination and if I had my druthers I would kick you out of the home-school ranks.

Anonymous said...

Are you KIDDING, Homeschooler??? Don't be stupid...no one appreciates it!

Anonymous said...

Anon: No I am NOT kidding!!

Cosette said...

I found your blog a while back through a friend's link, and have been having a blast reading all about your daughter. I simply had to comment on this post, however---it's hilarious! My kids do stuff like that all the time, and you just have to sit back and laugh!

DAVians ! ! ! said...

wow!!!another funny activity...she is just amazing...a fast avid learner.
her deeds are so amusing that i have been a regular reader of your blog...those are really interesting!!!
and for Mer a few words: "Hi Sweeti, keep it up!!!"

Anonymous said...

It is a shame to encourage such behavior.

Unknown said...

Ok Kristi and I had a very good life for that one. Guess which photo is going in the wedding reception slideshow for this young lady.

Anonymous said...

Defile not your wedding with pictures of this horrendous behavior!

Stephen, Sarah, Nora, Joseph and Isaiah said...

Your post scared me into hiding all my tubes of lipstick and putting my makeup on the top shelf of our bathroom closet! It also made me laugh, and appreciate the fact that I am not alone in cleaning up the explorations of a toddler. Today it was a self-made tatoo and a blanket in the toilet :0)

Micah said...

Okay, this story/picture takes the cake. Wow! I'm like you, I always preoccupy Kate with a TV show while I nap or shower, but for some odd reason, last week I decided she should just find something to play with while I took a nap. I intended to sleep for 15 minutes, but was worn out from a rough night with Olivia, and was asleep for 45 minutes! I woke up to see a whole 15 piece pack of gum empty. The only evidence left was one piece in her mouth and one piece in her hand. Kathryn walked over to the couch and said, "Monny seep all day???" It was too sweet. I couldn't scold her. And yes, it was worth it :).

Stacie said...

Such an adorable picture! Penelope has had her moments getting into my makeup. Just yesterday she got into some of that long-wearing lipstick and painted her eyes, she looks like someone punched her in the eye! I am hoping it wears off before Easter Sunday pictures. . .

Jen said...

That picture is PRICELESS!! And she looks like she wants to share it with you. :)

akalinear said...

This picture of Meredith made me laugh out loud, and I must confess that I've now passed it around my office to several new or expectant parents to "enlighten" them as to what they're getting into... =) Thanks for sharing.

Samal Shrikant said...

I really love to read 'bout Mer. Her activities are enough interesting. The photos of the cute, sweet l'il are appreciable.