Friday, March 09, 2007

Making Cookies with a One-Year-Old

I’ve tried to make cookies “with” Meredith on several occasions and the result has usually been a disaster—either resulting in a huge mess, her crying when I limit her contribution to the effort, or even (one time) a complete abandonment of the project.

Just when I started to think she’s altogether too young to help make cookies, I found a way to make it work. The answer: give Meredith her own bowl, her own ingredients, and her own spoon. Mommy gets the “real” (big) bowl. Meredith gets the little bowl. Everyone is happy.

Actually, Meredith was more than happy. She had a blast! I gave her a very small amount of each ingredient (except for eggs and extract). In between stirring the ingredients with her spoon, she managed to eat most of each ingredient before I could put the next one in. But she didn’t care. I didn’t care. It was great. (Side note: why is it that kids love eating things like shortening and plain flour? Gross.)

I look forward to many more memorable cookie-making times with my daughter. Maybe someday soon she’ll be able to stir the ingredients in the “real” bowl. But for now, we found something that works.

5 comments:

swan said...

Brilliant! You should be a professional mommie.

Rebecca said...

So fun! She's such a great mommy's helper. Now for years of great cookie making memories!

Stephen, Sarah, Nora, Joseph and Isaiah said...

Great ideas! I'll have to try this with Nora now...

Zoogirl said...

cookies were one of the first things each of my family learned to make and we still use the same way to do it now. I am glad to see your family doing so well.
It turns out we both know Emily Younger.

DAVians ! ! ! said...

Wonderful!!!
Really the activities of li'l Mer are just amazing....and it's again nice that she is even able to help her Mom!!!! Indeed the best daughter....
It is really interesting to know about the activities of the sweet, cutie pie Mer.