Thursday, October 05, 2006

Not Happy

When we moved into our rental house six weeks ago we were surrounded by these tall, beautiful trees. One tree in our backyard was especially beautiful. It was a large sugar leaf maple. I could hardly wait until it turned beautiful colors (probably in the next few weeks).

Three days ago I saw red plastic ribbons tied around three of the trees. The next day some workers came in a large truck and started sawing off the branches. Pretty soon the trees were whittled down to stumps. The only tree left standing was the maple.

I thought that was the end of it until yesterday when they returned and started chopping away at some more trees on the side of the house.

And I have just discovered something horrible! Right now they are working on that beautiful maple tree too.

Are they planning to cut down ALL the trees??? Good grief!

Don’t misunderstand, I’m not an extremist environmentalist who is ready to throw her body across a bunch of trees in order to save them. I realize there’s a time and place to cut down certain trees. It can be responsibly done (and trees replanted) to produce things useful for humans and it can be done where trees are a nuisance or danger to humans.

But I don’t understand the sense of cutting down all the trees on our property in a period of three days. This is the problem with renting – you’re not ultimately in control of your property, your landlord is.

Right now the guy who is cutting down the trees is right outside my window. I loathe him! Here is a picture so you can loathe him too. Thank you.



UPDATE – The guy (the evil one) saw me taking pictures of him!!!! He moved his little “car” thingy right outside my window and held up a sign that he had written that said, “Can you please e-mail me pictures at [insert e-mail address]?”

He then yelled out (loudly enough so I could hear through the window) that he has three boys and they love to see pictures of him on the job. But he rarely ever gets pictures of himself on the job. So, he would appreciate if I would e-mail him pictures.

So, what was I supposed to do? I took a few more (with him smiling back at me) so I could send them to his boys!

I guess it’s not his fault that all our beautiful trees are getting chopped down. It’s the landlord who ordered it done. And he is only doing his job, after all.

But, then again, that’s like saying the SS men couldn’t be blamed for anything – it was all Hitler.

Okay, I still think he’s a very bad man. Even if he has three cute little boys waiting for him at home.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! This is awesome!! You have me cracking up!

JoMama said...

He looks like an inbred hillbilly.

Amy K said...

He was very chainsaw happy, that's for sure.

Janice Phillips said...

I can just see you, Amy, "Stop! I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees!"

http://www.ekcsk12.org/science/regbio/LoraxStory.htm

Rebecca said...

You made me laugh. :)I don't know why people have to mess with beautiful trees. There are the ones who chop up the tree until it looks sadly naked then wait for it to regrow and the ones who just completely cut them down altogether. What about just leaving them alone to grow stately and strong.

Chris and Amber said...

Loved your story! That is a shame about the trees though!! That is so funny that you took his picture. It reminded me of years ago when we got that flat tire in your car and it was shredded and we took a picture of the AAA guy changing it so we could show people how bad it really was. I think he thought we were CRAZY but he still posed for the picture. I still have it. =) And the tire really is shredded. It's fuuny, because sometimes you picture things so different in your mind than how they atually were. =)

Peter said...

Reminds me of that scene from The Last Battle (Book 7 of the Chronicles of Narnia) where the Calormenes are cutting down talking trees. Although, the whole "I'm a nice guy because I have a bunch of cute kids" is a bit more convincing, if less poetic, than "he's not a tame lion."

Rachelle said...

Poor guy! He didn't realize he had come across a tree-huggin' west coaster. :) -rlr

Anonymous said...

LOL! Next time, cut down those nasty red ribbons before the worker arrive! :) ~SIW