Wednesday, October 11, 2006

List Freak

I am a list freak. It is the only way I can get things done. I have a “general” list of things I need to accomplish in the near future and then I have sub lists of things I need to accomplish today, in the next 42 minutes, etc.

“You know, you really should use Microsoft Outlook’s ‘task’ feature,” Kevin says to me last night. He noticed my desk covered with scraps of paper and sticky notes containing a myriad of items for me to accomplish.

He had earlier suggested I use Outlook’s calendar. I protested for a long time and then finally succumbed. Since doing that, my life has never been more organized. I went from having a calendar “in my head” to having one on the computer, where I get electronic reminders in advance of important dates. I love it!

Anyway, today I decided to take the suggestion about the task feature. I put all of my random to-do lists on my computer.

Can I just say that I’m already hooked?! My desk is clean and my to-do list can be organized in numerous ways. No more messy scratch marks or losing important pieces of paper.

The only problem is I might spend so much time tweaking my computer lists (because it's fun and I like it) that I have less time to actually DO the things on the lists.

10 comments:

Tai B. said...

I love Outlook's Tasks feature! I use it all the time. I confess, I am also a "list freak". Wait until you get into synchronizing it with your cell phone and/or PDA. It is so great to never forget what it was you were suppose to tackle next.

"Nick" said...

Next up, a PDA... so you have your lists with you ALL THE TIME! And your calendar!

WHOO HOO for organization!

(Which is coming from a fairly disorganized, calendar and lists in the head type of guy...)

JoMama said...

For some reason I think Rick James is lost on the home school crowd.

Janice Phillips said...

Isn't it addicting?! I bet you within a year I'll have either a Trio or some kind of PDA...what is the world coming to!?

I think the home school crowd is lost on Jomama...seriously, who doesn't know who Rick James is?! Sheesh, does he think we live under rocks? ;-)

Anonymous said...

J.R. Ewing:
This may inform you how the rest of us see home schooled kids: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooked_on_Monkey_Phonics

JoMama said...

Are you suggesting that you don't live under a rock?

Anonymous said...

Hey, JoMama, I *resemble* that remark! :) As a homeschooling mom, I have succeeded in horrifying my teen-aged daughters by singing along with not only Rick James' songs, but those of many of his peers, as well. *yikes!*

Angel said...

I am one of those people who doesn't like lists. They should be shunned as overt attempts to rein in creativity and spontenaity. ;) But they are awfully handy in helping you remember what you have to do, I'll grant you that. *grin*

JoMama said...

I apologize!! It looks like homeschooling moms are SUPER FREAKY!!!!

"'Cause I'm Rick James _____!"

Anonymous said...

Nice pic Jomama!