Monday, April 05, 2004

It’s Monday, in case you haven’t noticed already.

Kevin just called and told me he has three court hearings this week. He’s really lovin’ litigation and doing well. I’m very proud of him. His firm just hired a new secretary. Her name is "Sue." (Don’t you think that’s the perfect name for a legal secretary?)

Apparently all the candidates for the job were over 50. Some of them were quite elderly. Another attorney in the office, Matt, who is about Kevin’s age, came into Kevin’s office last week with a look of doubt and perplexity on his face and asked: "Are you worried about being able to give orders to a secretary who’s the same age as your grandmother? It’ll be like ‘Here, Ethel, type this up for me.’"

Ron (The Boss), when he hired Sue, told the young guys, diplomatically, "Your wives will be relieved to know that we are hiring a secretary with a lot of experience." (i.e, She is OLD. She is not a vixen, buxom, little twenty-something that the wives will have to watch their backs over.) I’m glad Ron is looking out for the young women concerned. Nice, decent guy. ;)
_________________________________

My friends out there who actually READ the great classics, instead of simply watching the movies about them, will be chagrined to know that, although I’ve never read Moby Dick, I watched the film last night. (The new one where Gregory Peck is the old man preacher - he only has a cameo appearance at the beginning of the movie.) And it was it was fantastic! (Um . . . duh. I guess, being a classic, it probably would be fantastic.) I was really caught up with the characters in the movie. It was intriguing to see the drama. To see the men submitting to a leader who is psycho and experiencing the consequences. To see the costs and sacrifices - to ALL involved - of one man's burning desire for vengeance. I kept asking Kevin (who has read the book), "Does Ishmael survive? Puhleeez tell me that he DOES!" Of course, he wouldn’t tell me. Little brat!
_________________________________

Other highlights of the weekend include. . . Receiving a bunch of beautiful, hand-picked, white calla lillies (Breathtaking! I love ‘em. Now I’m totally in the Easter mood.) . . and . . . Playing volley ball with a bunch of church friends and watching Kevin pretend to be the cheerleader. (He’d make a good one! He has a great little spits-jump that he does.)

Don’t you love the little stuff that life is made of?

No comments: