Monday, January 22, 2007

Turning Blue


Wasn’t that an amazing game last night? Condolences to my New England friends!

When I lived in Sacramento I was always amused at how fanatic people were about the Kings. But that’s nothing compared with the solidarity and passion I’ve seen displayed by Indianapolis residents for the Colts these past few weeks. People all throughout the town have been wearing jerseys and flying flags. It’s the buzz at every gathering place. Fast food establishments have signs cheering on their team. And blue thumbprint cookies and blue-icing doughnuts can be found at the grocery store.

I’ve never claimed a football team as “my own” because I’ve never been that into football. I think I’m becoming a fan, however. I’ve immensely enjoyed the last two Colts games. I’m proud to have finally found my team. Maybe I’ll go out and buy a jersey so I can be a small part of the frenzy too.

I think sports can be taken out of balance and be unhealthy but I also think there’s something to be said for the way it unites us. And, of course, it’s fun.

Go blue!

8 comments:

JoMama said...

I too enjoy a good game of sports...

Shannon Koons said...

If I ever see you in a Manning jersey, I just might have to shoot you. Ha! :)

Anonymous said...

I accept your condolences!! We here in New England sure enjoyed the first half of the game... guess I'll say I'm glad you guys enjoyed the second. (but that must be said in a whisper, or I could get shot!) The only thing that consoled me was knowing that Meg was freshly home from abroad & enjoying watching her Colts win!

Anonymous said...

Football is the best sport to get into because it is only once a week! It doesn't have to consume your entire life and it is fun to watch. Glad you enjoyed the game. We sure were thinking of the cheering happening at your house :)
The Halls

Jen said...

Yeah baby! I think I lost two years of my life on that game...but OH what a game that was. Jason and I were jumping around. Superbowl here we come...

Anonymous said...

I loved the game! I'm an SF fan, but I DO like the Colts. Hopefully they'll rout the Bears! :D

Anonymous said...

The Halls wrote, "It doesn't have to consume your entire life." That's true, it doesn't HAVE to, but for many here in Indy, I think it HAS! Plus, if you're really into fantasy football, as a few are, it definitely comes close to consuming my week! Actually, it consumes much more of my day every day through the week than on gameday!

Rachelle said...

We'll know you are a true fan if you end up with a Peyton this summer! We'll cheer with you in the SuperBowl! But next year it is the Seahawks, all the way!-rlr