Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Snow Flakes and Bran Flakes

Christmas was so much fun this year because Meredith “got” it. She was so excited to partake in everything. The first present she opened was a little rocking chair from my parents. She didn’t want to open anything else right away. She just wanted to rock back and forth with her dolly. We had to hide every present as soon as she opened it in order for her to want to open the next one. I’m sure this is a familiar story to a lot of you parents out there.

Here is a picture of Meredith with her new rocking chair. As you can see, she is very happy about it.

This was our first Christmas, since being married, to be in our own home for Christmas morning. After doing our thing here, we went to Kev’s parents’ house for more gala and a Christmas brunch. Then more family came over. Then, as soon as family was leaving, friends from church came over and stayed until midnight. Right before we left Kevin’s family’s house, the rain that had been falling all day turned into mammoth snowflakes!

I got my wish … a white Christmas.
___________________

I have been wanting to get a few things to help celebrate next Christmas – like a felt advent calendar and a kid-friendly nativity scene that Meredith can play with. So on Tuesday I hit-up the after-Christmas sales.

A friend had given me a coupon book for the Circle Centre mall. The coupons included a free ring-cleaning and a free gourmet coffee from the Nordstrom Espresso Bar! I had a blast shopping by myself and getting my freebies. Kevin thinks I’m weird because I like to shop by myself.
___________________

I should have realized after having such a good day that I would have a bad one. Today I’ve had the worst morning sickness yet. To top it off, I didn’t sleep well last night and was exhausted this morning when Meredith got up. So, I let her freely roam the house while I tried to get more sleep.

I woke up at 9:30 to discover that she had climbed on the table and dumped a box of Raisin Bran everywhere. There were trails of crushed bran flakes scattered all over the kitchen, dining room, living room, and partially up the stair way.

Curiously, there were not any sugar-coated raisins (“rai-rais”) to be found anywhere. Not even a single one! She had rummaged through the bran flakes and eaten the thing she liked, leaving the rest behind.

Ah, well … At least I got a nap out of the deal.

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

What a great Christmas! I love the chair.
I really wanted to get out for the after Christmas sales, but no doing this year. I like shopping by myself too, it's kind of theraputic, a break away from everything.
Yes, I know about those naps, when I'm tired I just suggest to everyone that we should play on Mommy's bed, even when there's jumping and wiggling at least I'm laying down. Those raisins sure are tasty. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, guys! That is great news! Meredith will love being the big sister.
I can totally relate to having morning sickness with a baby. Yuck! And yes, having no raisins in the Raisin Bran is TOTALLY worth a nap :).

the Joneses said...

Glad your Christmas was so much fun. It makes a big difference when the kids get involved!

I'll be laughing about those bran flakes for a long time. Especially since Meredith had picked out all the raisins for herself. What a resourceful little girl!

-- SJ

Rachelle said...

I have always liked shopping by myself. Now, with two children, shopping by myself is especially wonderful. -rlr

Anonymous said...

It was so fun to read about your Christmas celebrations! We had much the same enjoyment with Nora. I decided this was the ideal year as she slept in until 9am not understanding prior what Christmas morning entails, but was ecstatic when she saw the presents. I'm afraid our years for sleeping in on Christmas morning are numbered as in not again for many years :0)

-Sarah

the Joneses said...

I've lost count of how many times I've told "Meredith and the Raisin Bran" to Addie and Stuart. Addie specifically requested it again this morning.

-- SJ