Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Motherhood and Politics

Being a mom is great. The kids are currently playing with their two favorite neighbors. They are romping around in our dirty, disarrayed garage. Never mind the beautiful, expensive playsets that adorn the neighbors’ lawns. The real fun is happening in our garage.

I have no idea what they are doing out there but it probably has something to do with pretending the paraphernalia in our garage is furniture, or sea creatures, or something, and it probably also has something to do with making mud cakes and pies.

I love watching my kids just be kids.
___________________

Politics is also great. Today I did double civic duty. I voted and I also volunteered to work for an hour when the polls first opened, to greet people coming to vote and wear my chosen candidate’s t-shirt. It was fun. I enjoy doing things out of the ordinary. We stood huddled under a tent while it poured rain, drank our steaming coffee, and cheerfully greeted the five people who showed up.

The best part was that the opposing candidate was there. He had the brilliant idea of handing out umbrellas to people coming to vote. Only we think it was illegal because you are not supposed to hand out literature, but he had a “Vote for Bill Smith” (not his real name) sign attached to his umbrellas.

The absolute BEST part was that it appeared that the pants he was wearing were purchased at Target the night before because on the lower part of his right leg, on the back of his pants, there was a long, skinny “XL” sticker still attached.

The poor guy was bent over in the rain, handing out illegal umbrellas, wearing the size sticker still attached to his pants. It was a pretty sad sight. I really don’t think he will win.

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Oh Amy...that is hilarious! And I'm glad you were able to get out and do something like that. :)