Thursday, February 04, 2010

Life After Birth

After dinner last night Kevin and I were taking in the scenery—the brightly colored newborn paraphernalia that now dots our living room, toys scattered by playful preschooler hands, dinner lovingly prepared for us by someone else, served on paper plates. We have probably killed three trees in the last month with all the paper products we are using.

Clara had been smiling and making her little toddler jokes, which are funny not because of their content but because of how she says them. And for a full 30 minutes, we had been trying to convince her to just take “three more bites.” We are constantly amazed at how torturously slow she eats dinner.

Then we looked over at Meredith, who was lying on the floor. She is the third person in our family to get the flu bug this past week. I was first in line. Then it was Clara’s turn. I had never been so sick in all my life. I had no energy. Kevin had to carry me from the bathroom to bed. It was really awful. Thankfully Sophia finally took formula because there was no possible way I could breastfeed her. Poor Meredith looked so bad last night, lying pale and limp on the floor.

We groaned in anticipation of another long night, feeding a newborn, and helping a sick child to the bathroom. And Kevin really couldn’t afford to lose more sleep, since he has some pressing deadlines at the office.

I asked Kevin, “So, are you doing okay?” He got a twinkle in his eye and quipped, “Yeah, just living the dream.” With that comment, I lost it and started laughing my head off. He joined in and we both had a really good laughing session.

Seriously, though, after having the flu with an 8-day old baby, I don’t see how things could get worse. So, I’m cautiously optimistic that life is going to be okay now. I feel that we are starting to get back into the swing of things. Yesterday I got all three kids ready for an early morning departure and things went surprisingly smoothly. (Granted, I did do most of the prep work the night before!) Sophia is doing well and gaining weight. I’m starting to get my energy back. Heck, today I even fit into a non-maternity pair of pants. Life is good!!

One thing I want to say is that there is no possible way that I could have gotten to this point so quickly without the outpouring of love we have received from friends and also Kevin’s mom (and dad too!). Kevin’s mom, dear Laura, has bailed me out numerous times—taking the kids for the afternoon or day, and also helping to make sure I was cared for after getting the flu. I am very blessed to have had her there for me.

I am also completely overwhelmed at how many meals we have received, and are still receiving. One person who brought a meal is someone I hardly even know—I’ve only ever had two brief conversations with her. Yet, she made this amazing meal that was obviously prepared with care and concern. Another person works full time and has two small children and I know it must have been a hardship. We have had church friends, three different neighbors, and also my MOPS friends bring us dinners. I am blown away by how generous people have been. All in all, it adds up to about 20 meals.

With each meal I receive and eat, I am more determined to give back more than I receive. It has made a big difference for me and my family. Thank you everyone—not only did you meet a physical need, you also inspire me to bless others more.

3 comments:

Heather L. said...

I think you are right about the flu being the worst -- how could things get any worse than that!!! I still can't believe you had to go through that! So awful!!!

Glad you were able to get out and I hope that things keep looking up from here.

Thanks again for the loan of the Neb. hopefully David is improving -- I'm no good at hearing wheezing.

Jen said...

Amy that sounded so awful but glad you all are on the road to recovery.

Rachelle said...

Oh Amy. I'm so glad you both could laugh. We too met with sickness with a newborn; but I was the one person who managed to fend it off. I can't even imagine how horrible that would have been.

But I'm really jealous you can fit into non-maternity pants. It took me two months and they are still my fat, fat pants. ICK.

Oh and I want to invent a new chair for preschoolers to eat in that they can't get out of. Probably caging your children is a felony though, huh?