Wednesday, May 02, 2007

One Year

It suddenly dawned on me, as I was sitting behind the steering wheel at some nondescript intersection waiting for the light to change, that today is our one-year anniversary of moving to Indiana. It was one year ago today that we left our hotel in the Wisconsin Dells, drove through Illinois, and crossed the border into Indiana to begin this most recent chapter of our life.

Like many things in life, it’s hard to believe it’s only been a year, yet, at the same time, it’s hard to believe it’s been a whole year. Do you know what I mean?

When I remarked to Kevin that today is a one-year marker for us, his first reply was, “Can you believe you still haven’t been to the BMV yet to get your driver’s licensed changed over?”

Some of us, unlike the Kevins of this world, aren’t perfect. Some of us don’t rush in the week we move to take care of all the necessary business transactions.

Also, to be perfectly honest, I’m kind of scared to take the test. I don’t want to do it cold turkey but, at the same time, I haven’t felt like reading the driver’s manual. There are so many more interesting things to read, don’t you agree?

Isn’t that ridiculous? I took the California bar exam without batting an eye but every time I think about having to take the BMV test, I run and cower.

I know I’m going to have to do it eventually ...

My California driver’s license expires in 2009.

[Just kidding—I’ve already promised Kevin that I’ll take it next week.]

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your one-year-as-a-Hoosier anniversary! Does this mean Kevin now qualifies for in-state tuition? And I'm sure you'll ace the driver's test. Afterall, if you can safely manage California traffic, surely the nice and neat roads and traffic laws of Indiana will be a cinch.

Megan said...

I was just thinking the same thing the other day. It's so great that you and Kev have been able to make so many friends, have a great church home, and be closer to family all in one year! Our 1 year anniversary for Colorado will be coming up July 1st! I can't believe it's coming up, but it's seems like it's been so long since we've seen Sacramento & friends! Just think -- when we helped you guys pack up and move out of Sac, we didn't even know we were moving yet! We will be back in Sacramento on our 1 year anniversary...

Anonymous said...

I totally know what you mean, on Tuesday I was sitting at my desk and realized that it marked the 1-year anniversary of when I started working at this firm. And only a few weeks ago saw the 1 year anniversary of our move to California... a lot sure can happen in the space of 12 months! But I think really the driving force behind so many blessings in a relatively short time is God's grace and provision. Without that, well, a year might just be another year.
- Dan

Jen said...

Ok ,so you need to read my sister-in-laws post (she just started a blog). She is due anyday and just went to the BMV and she wrote a funny post about it. (Her link is on my latest post)

Yes, time does fly. The middle of July I will have been here one year and it just doesn't seem possible sometimes. :)

Jen said...

oh and I haven't changed my driver's license OR license's plate. They have not expired yet. :)

Rachelle said...

I highly recommend a little studying. I failed my WA State driver's exam the first time. Completely humiliating. -rlr

Amy K said...

Thanks rlr for being humble enough to admit that--now I will be better comforted when I fail the Indiana test. :)

Anonymous said...

All women and senior citizens should have to take a driver's test once a year.