Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Okay to Lie?

It was one of those random conversations in the car on the way home Sunday night. It started out with an innocent query from me to Kevin:

“If the ninth commandment says ‘Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor,’ is it okay to lie as long as you’re not harming your neighbor?”

It had occurred to me that lying is often the nicest, most helpful, thing to do in certain circumstances. In response to my question, Kevin brought up the scriptural example of Rahab and how she blatantly lied to protect the spies. Yet, despite her lie, God honored her as a hero of faith. It would seem to me that a person with a lot of faith wouldn’t need to lie. But God didn’t hold it against her.

Kevin said that the reason he wouldn’t want to ever lie is because he desires to imitate God and it’s against God’s character to lie. Kevin surmised that God would never lie to us, even for our supposed “good,” because He always deals truthfully with us.

I agree that, as a general rule, all lying should be avoided. This whole exchange, however, made me think more deeply about the topic of ‘lying for a good reason’ (maybe even to help your neighbor or help a righteous cause). It makes me wonder if perhaps some forms of lying are not necessarily sinful. Anyway . . . it’s good food for thought.

[A lot of you people out there probably think that this is yet another illustration of how I always like to push the limits and see what I can get away with. My mom would probably agree with you, quoting many instances from my childhood. In this case, however, I think that it’s merely a desire to philosophize and figure things out that drives me on. Honestly!] ;-)

2 comments:

Queen of Carrots said...

But doesn't God himself sometimes use lies--or at least deception? There was that instance with sending the lying prophets to Ahab, for instance. (Although that may have been a bit metaphorical; still it indicates that deception is not blasphemous to attribute to God.) Or what about when God gave battle plans that involved deception, like the attack on Ai?

God never lies in the sense that he never breaks his promises, but it appears God does sometimes use deception against his enemies. Even when the New Testament says, "Lie not," it goes on to say "one to another," i.e., it applies within the church.

Angel said...

Wow, could this ever be a big can of worms. ;) Time was, Amy, when I had this question all figured out, with Scripture references and everything, but that was in my younger, know-it-all days. I have an opinion of course, but not enough dogmatism to feel like shoving it at you or anyone else. *grin*

Happy philosophizing! --Angel