Friday, June 19, 2009

Little Girl, Big Trial

Meredith has had one of her first big trials, experiencing a lot of pain and adjusting to life with a cast. Exactly one week ago today, she fell from the top of some stairs (kids were goofing around) while we were at a friends’ house and broke both bones in her forearm. When I came to the scene the bones were poking weird directions out of her arm (imagine a “w” shape from her wrist to her elbow), although they hadn’t broken through skin thankfully. Believe it or not, it was my first trip to the ER with a child.

We are thankful that she will be okay and the break does not require surgery. She was very brave throughout everything. I was also grateful that our friend could drive us to the hospital and watch Clara while we were in the ER.

While we sat together on the hospital bed, she in my arms, I had a flashback to the last time I held Meredith in a hospital bed. It was a little more than four years ago when she was born. Time sure flies! The one funny thing—when she was under conscious sedation, shortly after her arm was set, she looked at Kevin and said, “Daddy why do you have three eyes?” She was pretty dizzy, I guess.

We still don’t know how long she’ll have the cast on, but likely through the end of July. On doctor’s orders, she can’t take a bath, swim, go to the sprinkle park, go to ballet, climb on play equipment, go down a slide, ride a bike, roller skate, etc. The nurse said: “Lots of books, videos, and computer games!” So, if you think of it, say a prayer for lots of grace for Meredith this summer! Oh, and her mom too!

Meredith picked a purple cast with teddy bears ... We are overwhelmed at all the gifts and cards she has received in the mail. Even her 94 year old Great Great Aunt sent a book in the mail! She's gotten balloons, bears, flowers, some toys, candy, an ice cream gift card, etc. All the things that a nearly-four-year-old would love.
 

Clara has benefited from Meredith's ordeal, for sure ...
 

After I took the picture above, she got these balloons and some candy in the mail from her Aunt Megan.
 
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, Amy -- I am so sorry this happened to dear little Meredith. I was felt so badly when I heard about it. I do hope the healing process goes quickly.

Rachelle said...

Oooh not fun! I hope it heals well and you endure a summer that sounds rather limiting.

Micah said...

Oh, Amy, how AWFUL!!! I am so, so sorry this happened. We will be praying for Meredith... and you! Hope it heals quickly.

Monica said...

She has been very brave. I'm sure there will be lots of fun times this summer despite the cast.

Katie @ Heart Gone Walking said...

That's so sad. I hope it heals well and quickly! At the very least, it will be a memorable summer for her and you!

Thanks for the info on Half Price Books summer program. We finally made it over there today and I'm so excited for Madeline!

Debra said...

Poor Meredith and poor you! It sounds like she is enduring it all well. I remember when Hannah broke her arm at 14 months old, and Peter and I were in Italy. We came home just in time to take her to the hospital. There is nothing like holding your little one while they are scared and hurting and not sure what is happening. Hang in there!