Friday, March 19, 2004

Procession of Thoughts

We had a great time visiting with Josh last night. He was in town from Arizona and we met him at P.F. Changs. On our way there, we heard this radio announcement:

Apparently Scott Peterson is receiving masses of love letters from adoring female fans as he awaits his trial for the double murder of his wife and unborn son. Can you believe it? Isn’t that Revolting? Women are such bleeding hearts. And such complete nitwits, too. (In my next life, I think I’ll ask God to make me a man so I don’t have to be associated with such idiotic bimbos.)

Several women "in love" with Peterson were interviewed on the radio yesterday. One of the gals said "Peterson is hot. My heart starts pounding when I see him walk into the courtroom." Another said, "I think I’m in love with him because he’s inaccessible and mysterious." The radio commentator announced that the Menendez brothers were both married in prison. He said: "Women seem to be attracted to these sorts of criminals for a variety of reasons. For some women, it’s because they are commitment shy and these men are ‘safe.’ [I guess they can’t murder the girlfriend because they are safely in prison for murdering the wife.] For other women, these men are celebrities. [Yeah, but, um, they are celebrities for a bad reason. Make a difference at all?]"

Kevin listened patiently to me as I spent a few minutes yelling at the radio. Then we drove on in silence. It was dusk and the sky was breathtakingly beautiful. The sun had woven streaks of light through the clouds as it had set. We started talking about how every sunset throughout time has probably been different from the last. Like thumbprints. Not a single one is the same. Isn’t God the most creative artist of all?

That discussion led us the topic of evolution, naturally. How ridiculous and pompous it is to believe there is no God and things happened by chance! How foolish.

Then I started getting really disgusted with my generation. Considering my previous encounter with the radio and then the whole evolution madness, my patience had been worn. Most people nowadays don’t care to engage their minds and THINK about things. They don’t care to debate issues and discuss things rationally. All they care about is going home after work to sit in front of the almighty Tube. The more I think about it, the more disconcerting it is.

Maybe I’ve said this before, but I think it would be really amazing to live back in the days of the American Revolution. It was a time when people loved God and their Country. When they cared to debate and searched for truth. When they weren’t afraid to speak truth even if it wasn’t popular. When honor, character, and morality meant something. When people put their family’s interests above their individual interests. When they were willing to sacrifice and work hard. When we had leaders and statesmen instead of wussy politicians.

NOTE: I’d even be willing to give up my voting rights, as a woman, and my ability to use modern conveniences like dishwashers and e-mail. [Uh, let’s see here, let me really think about that one . . . Yes, I actually would.] That’s how dead serious I am.

Sigh.

But then I have to imagine that God, being sovereign, had a specific reason for me to live in this particular time in the history of the world. Lord, give me grace to understand why.

No comments: