Monday, November 17, 2003

The Big Guy

There are a lot of important-looking people milling around downtown right now. I observed them as I took a brief walk in the brisk early afternoon air to meet a friend at Café Dolce. As I walked, I met a group of media standing on a street corner. A young woman bystander was also standing there. I asked, "What are you guys waiting for?" Her eyes widened and she said, "Arnold is supposed to walk by here." I continued on my merry way. Twenty minutes later, as I walked back to the office, I saw the same star-crazed girl standing in the same spot. What a waste of your life . . . waiting around like that. Arnold bleeds red like everyone else. What a sucker.

Did you watch the inauguration this morning? (I have a job where I can do that, so maybe you didn’t.) The thing that most amused me was the Catholic priest who gave the invocation. Is anyone foolish enough to think he was actually talking to God? Another amusing thing: he spent several sentences (in his prayer!) talking about the "indominable spirit" of Maria Shriver - but I don’t recall him talking much about Arnold.

No comments: